Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups bold red wine, such as cabernet or merlot
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 rind Parmigiano Reggiano or Gruyère
- 1-1/2 cup Gruyère cheese, grated
- French baguette, sliced thinly on the bias
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In the meantime, slice the baguette and place on a sheet pan in a 300 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until golden and crisp. Once the soup has reduced and the flavors have melded together, season with salt and pepper to taste. Distribute the onions and broth evenly into oven-safe soup bowls and top with 1-2 baguette crisps and a generous helping of cheese. Place the soup bowls on a sheet pan (line with aluminum foil for easy clean-up) and then back into the oven under the broiler for 5-10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and brown. Watch the soup closely, as the cheese may burn quickly. Once done remove everything from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
Serve with a salad and some more tasty toasty baguette slices. C'est magnifique!